Wednesday 19 November 2008

Possibly the best Blues Brothers tribute in the UK

Lets face it - the Blues Brothers was a classic film and the music and comedy will go down in the record books as a cult. John Belushi was brilliant, and who knows what might have happened if he hadn't shot himself full of crack and heroin. A real shame.

The Blues Brothers 2000 was somewhat of a disappointment. Lets say no more.

Needless to say I have found myself viewing a number of tributes - some good, some bloody awful. Where I live we have hundreds of tributes to the Blues Brothers and a quick Google of the web soon shows the popularity of tribute bands and duo. That's when I happened across a couple of guys calling themselves "Committed to the Blues Brothers" (a bit of a mouthful I'm sure you'll agree). There website looked good and a couple of the demos were quite nice, so I went along to see them perform at a local working men's club where my mate's a member. Not only was it free entry, but the booze was dead cheap too!

Well, all I can say is that I was very impressed by the guys. First of all, I was pleased to see that they didn't try and talk in an obviously faked American accent which made a refreshing change. Secondly, they didn't try and rip the Blues Brothers to pieces - in fact their act was somewhat original in a way; as original as it could be anyway. But the thing I liked most of all was that they mixed in other tracks from all over including some rock 'n' roll numbers like Johnny B Goode and a bit of Elvis. But to top it off, they added loads of stuff from the great Irish film 'The Commitments' - including Mr Pitiful and Midnight Hour.

Overall it was a real high-octane night and I got quite pissed and even started dancing. I had a chat with them after and they seems like a real nice couple of guys. So if you get the chance to see those guys I recommend you do.


UPDATE!

I went and saw the guys open the show at Colchester's 'Concers in the Castle' where they opened for singer Lemar and Ali Campbell's UB40. I have to say that in my opinion, they were the best act of the night. They did about 40 minutes of non-stop Blues Brothers music and I got to meet the guys again after the show. They're a bloody nice couple of blokes - no egos - and I'll be watching them again soon.

No comments: