Thursday 20 November 2008

Locating missing device drivers in Windows (XP & 2000)

I had a problem. My sisters laptop went tits up (hard drive failure) so I was volunteered to reinstall Windows XP for her. The problem was that she didn't have the original CD for the chipset/motherboard/sound card etc., so although I could get XP to install without a problem I was left with no sound and the incorrect video drivers, which was a pain. I also didn't know that name of the manufacturer of any of the bits of hardware, as the motherboard had been replaced previously.

To locate the correct drivers, I simply downloaded a free piece of software called 'Everest'. Everest scanned my system and gave me the names of all of the hardware inside the laptop - no need to start taking the thing to bits. It's free for 30 days to try.

Once I knew the name of the sound card (in my case is was a Realtek ALC655) I was able to visit the manufactures website and download the driver for it. I also did this for the display adapter and network card.

Hey presto.

No comments: