Sunday 25 January 2009

How I fixed my Schneider Television (TV) for free

Last night my Schneider TV started to make some horrible buzzing and sparking noises and the screen also started to flicker. I wasn't surprised - after all, the TV was one of the cheapest on the market when I brought it 9 years ago and they don't last forever. But the noises were loud and I wasn't going to carry on using it in its present state.

However, I was determined to make it last a bit longer, at least until I could arrange a replacement. My theory was simply - I believed that a load of dust had settled and was making electrical connections where it shouldn't (resulting in sparking and noise as the dust was burnt off).

This is how I fixed it:

(I am not an electrical engineer - I just play with electrical items sometimes and I blagged this. Unless you are competent DO NOT attempt this yourself. A TV tube carries a massive amount of power and there's a chance you could fry yourself if you don't know what you are doing. You have been warned!).

1.) Turn off TV and unplug from the mains for at least 12 hours
2.) Remove the 6 screws from the rear of the machine
3.) Take off the large plastic cover
4.) Vacuum the inside - all around the glass tube, printed circuit board, wiring and switching. If you have a compressed air line, blow (gently) around the electrics
5.) Refit the rear cover

That was it. I did that and the TV has been going for 6 hours now without at issue.

Dust can be a right bastard....

No comments: